Wednesday, January 2, 2013

One Little Word: 2013


pur·pose·ful

  [pur-puh s-fuh l]  Show IPA
adjective
1.
having a purpose.
2.
determined; resolute.
3.
full of meaning; significant.


My word for 2013 came to me this morning as I was lying in bed. I had already chosen another word, and I had even shared it on Twitter. However, something made me realize that purposeful meant the same as the other word, but it literally added meaning to the definition. 

Over the past three and a half years, I've sort of floated from job to job, never finding a full-time teaching job. It is tough to find meaning in your life when you are basically just doing "odd jobs." Seasonal employment rarely uses your full mental capabilities, and long-term sub jobs usually don't give you a lot of creative control over your teaching methods or subject matter. 

But the thing is, if I am going to wait for something else to give my life meaning, it will never happen. If teaching is what gives my life meaning, will I feel meaningless each summer? Maybe. So maybe I need to find a better way to give my life meaning.

This is where purposeful comes in. It means living my life with purpose and determination. It means finding my purpose, my significance, in 2013. There is more to life than work, and my goal is to live a purposeful, fulfilling life without full-time employment. This adds a challenge to the process because it means I will be completing these tasks on a limited income. However, living frugally is an important virtue, so I'm looking forward to doing these tasks on a limited income!

My initial goal is to focus on one purpose of life each month through the end of the year. My January purpose is spirituality. On February 1, I'll update you on what I did to be purposeful in my spiritual life and how I feel the project went, as well as share what my February purpose will be. My hope is that spending a month focusing on each purpose will turn the purposes into habits, and they won't simply fall away on the first of the following month, when I start to focus on something else. 

No comments: