Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Reflections 2011: Goals & Obligations

7. What are your goals for 2012? What are your obligations in 2012? How can you mesh the two of these together?


My goals for 2012 are these: 1) Run a 5K. 2) Paint the inside of my house. 3) Hang up decorations in my house. 4) Purchase furniture to finish off the house. 5) Pay off another student loan ahead of schedule. 6) Complete my final class for Georgia teaching certification.


My obligations for 2012 are these: 1) Make monthly student loan payments. 2) Serve as matron-of-honor in my sister's wedding. 3) Teach for seven weeks while I cover a maternity leave. 4) Serve at church. 5) Keep up the exterior areas of our home to meet the HOA covenants and restrictions.


When considering how to mesh these two groups of things together, I think about a forwarded email I received in college. It was a long, drawn out unrealistic scenario about how a person was asked to fit golf balls, pebbles, and sand into a jar. They began in reverse order, and couldn't do it. The person requesting the task's completion then showed the proper way to do it: the biggest things go first, the medium-sized things come next, and the sand falls into place around them. This short scenario was meant to illustrate that if we place the most important things first in our lives, everything else will just fall into place around them. This is my plan for the coming year. I will put the important things first, and everything else should fall into place.

No comments: