Friday, November 18, 2011

A lesson in economical card making

{Supplies: My scrap stash, a sheet of Wausau printer cardstock, Studio 18 gems from the Michael's dollar section, rub-ons from a Making Memories pack, Colorbox Ink, Stamps from Studio Calico, and twine from Crate & Barrel}

This card was inspired by one from Britta Swiderski. Please check her out if you haven't already done so!

This summer, my friend Becca asked me to become her cardmaker. You see, she said she had probably used every single dollar card at the grocery store/Wal-Mart/Target, and our Hallmark just closed. There's one in Peachtree City, but it isn't worth the trip over there just for one or two cards, you know? So she asked me what I could make for a dollar. This card is the result of that. I dove into my scrap pile and pulled out a few coordinating scraps. I knew I wanted to go with the red, black, and white color scheme because I have something like a thousand yards (no kidding) of this baker's twine I bought at Crate and Barrel for $8 last year at Christmas time. 

Whenever I'm stuck for a card design, I go to BrittaSwiderski.com. Britta is a student at the University of Minnesota and a brilliant, prolific paper crafter. I'm always amazed at how often she has new and unique cards to post on her blog. So, when I needed an idea for what to do with these leftover pieces, I turned to Britta, and she did not disappoint me! Her post inspired me to pullout the stamp set that came in my January 2011 Studio Calico Add-on Kit, Mary Jane (and let's be honest here, this particular stamp set is what put me over the edge to become a subscriber). I used my Martha Stewart Score Board to score the lines on the black piece, which was done to help me place the rub-on AND to add some interest to a card that is otherwise void of patterns. I skipped inking the edges because I didn't have a good color to mix into this, and I switched out Britta's pearls for some blue gems to add a little color. 

Have you ever made a card based on a design someone else created? Or have you ever had to do a card on a budget? Let me know in the comments section!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Keshet said...

Love this, Lynsey! The color combo is fabulous!