Thursday, November 3, 2011

December Daily 2011: Possible Albums


Left to Right: Martha Stewart Crafts binder kit, We R Memory Keepers 8.5x11 Leather Binder, We R Memory Keepers 8x8 postbound linen album, American Crafts 12x12 linen binder, Chatterbox Inc. suede postbound 8x8 album, American Crafts 6x12 corduroy album

I've decided to do a December Daily for 2011. I did one in 2009, and this year feels like the right time to try it again. We've got a new house, we might actually get to see both families for the holidays this year, we've got church activities related to the holidays, and I've got lots of plans for decorating and making handmade gifts. This just seems like the right year to do my second December Daily album.

My previous DD was in an 8x8 American Crafts red linen binder. I did more of a traditional layout each day, using almost exclusively Elle's Studio products with Bazzill Cardstock I purchased specifically to match Elle's 4x4 Christmas papers. I'm not sure that's what I want to do this year, though, so I'm looking for more flexibility than I had before. I'd like to experiment with different sizes of prints and page protectors.

Money is tight for us this year, so I vowed to use almost exclusively things from my stash. Over the past few years, I've gotten quite the stash of mini albums and larger albums. I've pulled a few to consider for my DD this year. I think I know which one I want to use, but I'm still not sure, so that's why I'm blogging about these today.

The pros of the Martha Stewart Crafts binder are that is is alterable, it is a small size, meaning I could do full page photos easily, and it comes with some stickers and embellishments that could work with the DD. The cons are the bright red, which doesn't really match my Christmas products, and that it is a very narrow binder, limiting how much I could include.

The pros of the remaining binders are that they are easy to open and add to out of sequence, and offer larger canvases for telling my stories. I know that I can add a variety of page protectors to this style of album, giving me a lot of freedom in how I tell my stories. The problem is that they might be too large for this project. Also, the bright red binder doesn't quite match up with the other products I'll be using.

The green linen postbound album has been in my stash for a long time. It has a wide binding, leaving me plenty of room for telling these stories, and it has reinforced corners, making it durable. However, it is still a postbound album, making adding things difficult. I also worry that this might have too much space for me to add to as well. Meanwhile, the small red postbound album might be too thin, restricting how much I can add to it.

No comments: