Saturday, November 5, 2011

30 Blows!


Cheesy. Funny. Cheap.

These are the adjectives I'd use to describe this project, in that order. Just after we got the invite to Justin's 30th Birthday Party, I stumbled upon some projects like this on Pinterest. I knew I wanted to do something like this, but I was instructed by Jennifer, Justin's wife, to keep it at or under $5.

So we started at Dollar Tree, where I found a foam ring and crepe paper in our university's colors. We picked up the blow pops at Wal-Mart for $5, but since we only used half the bag, we counted that at $2.50. The skewers and white cardstock were already at home, and I can't count the 97 cent bottle of paint because that will be used on other projects, too. Since I only used half of each package of crepe paper, I'm going to say this project cost us $4.50 to make.

If you're interested in making one of your own, it's pretty simple. I wrapped the whole green floral foam ring with one full roll of white crepe paper. Then, I did a candy cane wrap of green over it. I took one of the unpainted skewers and poked 33 holes around the ring, as the suckers aren't strong enough to go through all the crepe and foam by themselves. I then stuck in the suckers. I painted the three skewers by jabbing them through the bottom of an upside down styrofoam bowl, and let dry. I used MS Office Word 2010 to type the sentiments and punched it out with a 2 inch circle punch. I also punched two plain circles from the scraps of that sheet. I used a pair of Glubers for the frills of crepe paper, finger pleating as I wrapped around. I pressed the skewers into the back side of the Glubers, and stuck down the plain circles. On the front side of the crepe, I used American Crafts This to That dot roller to attach the sentiments. The flag at the back was done simply by sticking some adhesive to the crepe paper, rolling the skewer into it, and trimming the ends to look pretty.

Cheesy. Funny. Cheap.

I can't wait to give this to Justin tonight! :)