Friday, July 1, 2011

Young Crafters Blog Hop


Welcome to the Young Crafters Unite Favorite Things Blog Hop! If you're just stumbling through, I highly recommend you start at the main page to get some background on the hop, and then click on through to the end. I'm sure you'll see some great things!

If you're coming in order, you should have come to my page from New Ideas, a blog by Isha. I hope you looked around for awhile. She's got some gorgeous yet simple cards using border punches, rainbow colors, and twine. I love her work!

For those of you who are new to my blog, I'm a young crafter because I am, in fact, young. I'm 26, a relatively newlywed substitute teacher married to an airline pilot. We're building a life together in the suburbs of Atlanta, which is far from where we grew up -- I was raised on a cattle ranch in North Dakota, and he was raised in the suburbs of St. Paul, Minnesota. We still visit both frequently, but we save our visits for the spring and summer months, letting us enjoy the north at its best and leave the south at its worst! ;)



{Supplies: Studio Calico May Kit: Lawn Party, Fiskars Threading Water border punch, Marvy Uchida pennant punch, Martha Stewart Holidays Baker's Twine, Recollections kraft cardstock, various gems and pearls, Spellbinders Labels Eight die set, Stampabilities Pigment Ink Pad in Brown, and Unity Stamp Co. Bevy of Butterflies stamp set}

When I read that this would be a favorite things hop, I was a little distressed. How could I pick any small assortment of favorite things? I love this hobby too much to pick favorites! So, I realized I'd have to take a different approach. I picked a favorite person and decided to make a project for her. I chose my cousin Erin, who is starting college in about six weeks. I wanted to make a fun card to greet her shortly after she moved into her dorm at North Dakota State University. I had the Bevy of Butterflies set from Unity Stamp Co. on my desk and realized that the small "Best of Luck" stamp would be perfect for what I was planning. From there, I chose a favorite Studio Calico kit.

I loved this kit because it was full of delightful spring colors without being too heavy on pink, the little banners were a neat embellishment, and there were still some fun neutrals in the kit. Most of all, I loved all the orange in it, too. I decided it was time to let go of the last of my banners, so I snipped them from their toothpicks and punched pennants out of scraps to help fill out the area I intended for my banner. I decided how much of the card I wanted the banner to cover, and cut the black and white handwritten paper to cover that area. I then chose the bottom papers to bring in some color.

I traced around the outside of my Martha Stewart Circle Cutter to get the banner's arch. I had planned to use my Sew Easy to pierce the holes, but it didn't have the turn radius I needed, so I instead poked the holes by hand. I handstitched with brown and white twine, and then added my sentiment. I finished by dressing up some of the banners with my favorite simple, quick embellishment: pearls and gems.

I hadn't planned on having the banner overlap the page, but I loved how it looked when I started laying it down, so I decided to go with it. I think it's going to be really fun for Erin when she receives it, and it will be easy to just send it in a slightly larger envelope.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Please leave a comment letting me know you were here, and remember, commenters on the blog hop have the chance of winning some great prizes ( $20 from Simon Says Stamp, their choice of stamp set from Paper Smooches, or their choice of stamp set from Lawn Fawn)! Also, feel free to stop back in the future to see more cards, layouts, and some home decor projects I've got planned!

Next up on the blog hop: Neat & Tangled, a blog by Danielle Walls! Enjoy the rest of the hop!

64 comments:

Patricia said...

great card an color combo love your banner =P

Marie / Legojenta said...

Such an interesting approach to the favorites theme! I really love all of the patterns and colors on your card, and great job on stiching the twine =) Thank you so much for joining our bloghop!

Heather Innusa said...

This is WAY too fun!!! I'm loving everythig "banners" right now!!! Great card!

Priya Mohan said...

The banner is very nice.. lovely card

Katie said...

love the colors, thanks for sharing.

Pookie said...

cute!

scraptaculardesigns.blogspot.com

Angie said...

nice card.

Melissa Shea said...

Gotta love banners!

Isha said...

Lovely blend of PP, colors and details.

Crafterkhush said...

I loved the colour combo and this was different from all the posts in the blog hop... TFS

Natasha said...

Aw, thanks for sharing! Love the pennant banner!!!

judy said...

Very cute card! I love the colors a pattern paper and banners.

DianeG said...

Your cousin is one lucky girl! The banner is great coming off the page! TFS!

Donna B. said...

Cute card! I love that Studio Calico kit too!!!

yainea said...

Beautiful banner! Great card with very nice color combination. Thanks for sharing!

Michelle said...

Love letters!!

Kim Marie said...

I really love pennant cards and yours is great!! :)
Kim Marie

Karen B. said...

I was a transplant to the south one time as well and still have a hard time choking down okra and collard greens! I'll take some good ol' Wisconsin cheese anyday! Love your card and the colors!

Mubeena M. said...

lovely banner!

Lauren said...

I love all of the colors in your banner! That is a very cute card!

Leezer said...

Great card. Banners are so fun!

sharon g said...

LOVE the banner!

pcm said...

cute card :)

Bunny Vance said...

Cute card and banner!
Thanks for sharing,
Blessings,
Bunny
http://bunnyrunswithscissors.blogspot.com/
http://www.ajillianvancedesign.com/

Aditya Gupta said...

nice card and the banner is superb.

Bunnyfreak said...

Love the banner on the card.

Mad Crafter said...

Your card ROCKS!! I love banners on cards. The colors are really fun. TFS. I am on the hop too. You can check out my project if you want. I am # 58:)
~Madison funkycards.blogspot.com

Danielle said...

So sweet! Love the banner. :-)

Ezlie J. Perez said...

I like your combination of various patterns and colors. cute card.

cutiephinphin said...

Cute card and like how you did the pennant banner. Thanks for sharing

Elizabeth said...

Very fun card! http://visionsofpaper.blogspot.com/

Christiana said...

What a cool card! I love it so much. It just has this great style to it. Think I'm going to become a follower... So nice getting to know you!

Lillian Child said...

What a delightful card creation!

Disp6194 said...

Lynsey I love how you mixed the black and white pattern with those bright colors! Such a fun card, I'm sure Erin will be thrilled :)

narutopenguingirl said...

Love all the patterned papers! Cute card :)

Jessica said...

this is so much fun! I love the sweet little banner! :)

Bonnie said...

You make the different papers go together.

Wendy said...

I know what you mean, I was feeling a little distressed about picking favorites, so i took a different approach too, and went with my love for banner as a matter of fact, and i love yours and different patterns of paper.

Cathy P in AZ said...

LOVE your card - the colors, stitching and banner are FABULOUS.

Dawn said...

Such a lovely card

lonely rubber stamp. said...

Gorgeous card. Love the banner so much!

Neha Jain said...

nice...

Tania A said...

Wow Lynsey this is such an adorable card! I had a really hard time choosing my favourite thing for the hope too, I ended up choose Distress Inks, because that's what I use on very single project I make!I have a thing for banners these days so this made me squeeee! Thanks for sharing! :D

I am also participating,I'm Number 32 in the hop!

Monika/Buzsy said...

What a great card! Love the text BG and the banner!

Emily Keaton said...

So sweet! Love that pennant banner. Thanks for sharing! :)

Kelley said...

Love your banner! Erin is going to love it.

AmyJRockstar said...

I really like your style. This card is fantastic! The colors are awesome and I love your idea of thinking outside the box and picking a favorite person instead of product. Very cool. :0)

Be sure to stop by my blog to enter my 500 followers giveaway!


XO ~ Amy Jo
amyjrockstar at gmail dot com
http://lv2scrapandfibrofacts.blogspot.com/

Lynne in NI said...

Ohhh this is fabulous .... the banner is so pretty and I LOVE all the different patterns you used

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Love the banners.

cards by cara said...

Great tip on how to create the curve ...

CuteCuteWorld said...

Beautiful card! Love the paper :)

Carla said...

Love your card - the banner is too cute!!

luvhymns said...

Great job on your card with all the different papers. Love the banner in celebration of great things happening.

Casey said...

Really cute card!

Larissa Heskett said...

I LOVE your card and the approach you took in getting there!! I LOVE the final result!! Love the stiching!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS DAY!! =)

Stephanie said...

Cute card! I love the sweet colors!
-Stephanie
www.stephmade.com

Elaine said...

Wonderful indeed! I love the patterns and the colors and the banner! Oh my!! Thanks for being an inspiration.
-Elaine Uhl
http://createNstamp.blogspot.com/

Britta Swiderski said...

I love your approach to choosing your favorites by choosing to make a card for a favorite person. That's perfect! I love your card and all of the supplies used together. I'm an SC subscriber and always love their kits to pieces. :) Thank you so much for joining us on the Young Crafters Unite blog hop!

Stephanie Y. said...

Great card! love the use of the banner

Rebecca T. said...

Nice card - I love the top paper.

Sue D said...

Great card--I like the papers you used and the banner.

Glory said...

Love the colors in the card. 80)

Sew-Ink said...

Very cute, love the color combo! Thanks for sharing!

The Constant Scrapper said...

Lynsey, I'm with you: it's just too hard to choose favorites in this hobby of ours! Your designs are delightful, and I'm certain your cousin is going to love this card. :-)