Thursday, April 7, 2011

One Little Word 2011: April Update

Move.

What a whirlwind it's been! We closed on the house on February 28. We moved in on March 9, and I feel like I've been constantly on the move since. It's been a lot of trips to Lowe's, some social events (like a wedding this weekend), and a lot of working for both Trevor and me.

I've been able to do a lot of reading. I'm really moving through my to-read list. I just finished Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, and I'm also working on the Sookie Stackhouse mystery series. It's very much "popcorn reading." The story sucks me in, even though the writing isn't that great. The story lines are sometimes thin or tied up a little haphazardly at the end, but I do enjoy the series. I think it's a bit like the grownup equivalent of Goosebumps.

I've really been on the move for work lately. I've lost count of how many days and how many schools I have taught in lately. I taught the same class for five days in late March, which was great because it gave me a chance to learn the students' names, get a feel for who they are, and learn more about the school. This was fabulous because I was offered a maternity leave for this fall at the end of the week. This is a huge move towards working full time as a teacher again.

Soon, we're going to be on the move again in the sense that we'll be traveling. We're hoping to see a shuttle launch -- we've got tickets for the one that was supposed to be on the 19th of this month. However, we learned that it's been delayed due to excessive traffic at the International Space Station. Right now, the projected launch date is April 29, and we're not sure my husband can get the time off to fly down. Days off are tight at work right now -- they are hiring lots of new pilots, but many of them are going to Detroit or Dulles, and none of them will be flying until June or July. It's disappointing how the company always brings pilots back from furlough or hires new pilots just a little too late to help with spring break, Easter, or even the summer's increased flying.


No comments: