Monday, January 3, 2011

One Little Word 2011

I wrote in December that I was still mulling my One Little Word for 2011. It seemed to take more consideration than it has in the two previous years that I've chosen words. Ali Edwards has written about how, sometimes, you just have to let the word choose you. It seems to have happened to me this year.

My word is move.

I've been resisting move for weeks. It's ugly. I don't like the way it looks in writing. I don't like the way it sounds -- it sounds like the noise a cow makes. I don't like the meaning of the word.

And yet, that's exactly why it's the word for me in 2011. My word is supposed to be about growth and self-improvement. Move actually applies to a number of goals I'd like to accomplish this year. I'd like to move clutter out of our home. I'd like to move more by exercising. I'd like to move towards eliminating my student loan debt. I'd like to more on the move by traveling more and doing more with friends.

But the biggest goal, the one I've been keeping a secret for awhile, is this: I want to move into my first house this year!

I've been dreaming about home ownership almost since our wedding. It didn't seem like an achievable goal until this fall, when I stumbled on a house on Realtor.com that was cute and very, very inexpensive -- $75,000! Though it was cute, it was also a foreclosure, and we soon realized it wasn't the neighborhood for us. However, it made us both really interested in looking further into this business of buying a house. What we found after reading Homebuying for Dummies and reviewing some listings on Realtor.com was that we are actually in a good place to buy a home.

So, there's no New Year's resolution in our home this year, no lofty goals of losing 20 pounds or quitting sodas, but simply a goal: Move into our first house.

1 comment:

Rach H said...

Great word! ;)

I will be moving when I get married in May- hopefully into our first hom.