Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Reverb10: One Word

Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you? (Author: Gwen Bell)

Traveler. I've been very fortunate to be able to travel over the past year and a half, thanks to the flight benefits I receive through my husband's job. I have joined him on the spur of the moment when his work trips took him to Kileen, Omaha, Houston, and Tallahassee, as well as lesser known places like Columbus, Georgia and Dothan, Alabama. Our personal travel has taken us home to see our families and friends in Minnesota and North Dakota. We have also been able to visit friends in Chicago and Detroit, sneak off to Savannah for a one year anniversary trip, and spend 10 days in Hawaii with our Chicago friends. I've also been able to see the Atlanta area through new eyes as my parents visited us this fall and saw the big attractions we just don't make the time to see as we go about our day to day lives.

My One Little Word for 2010 was not Traveler. It was Organize. I feel like I have made huge strides in that aspect, though. Decluttering has become a huge priority. As I look back on the move to Atlanta and look forward towards the possibility of future moves across town, across the country, or even across this apartment complex, I have a strong desire to cut down on the amount of unnecessary, unloved items in our home.

I'm still mulling some words for 2011. A part of me wants to continue Organize into 2011 because there is still some work to do, but I feel like that would be cheating. One word I'm considering might be a "secret word," like Ali Edwards had this year with Athlete. The word relates to a goal I'm not quite ready to share with the world just yet, though my closest family and friends know about it (no, we're NOT having a baby, just to put that to rest right away). Over the rest of December, I'll be looking for words others are choosing for their One Little Word and considering them, as well as flipping through the dictionary to see if something really stands out to me. I'll be asking myself what my goals are for 2011, what passions I'd love to see take a firmer hold on my life, and what habits need to be built or broken.

No comments: