Friday, December 3, 2010

Reverb10: Moment

Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)

The water was cold as it lapped up into the kayak. It was 7 a.m., and we were behind Dave and Erin's kayak by quite a bit. The four of us were crossing Kealakekua Bay to see Captain Cook's monument, which is only accessible by boat or hiking trails. As we approached the monument, I started to see little yellow things int the water. I thought they were dead leaves from the tree above.

When we reached the shore, my arms were killing me, and I was certain I had burned a bit, too. I reapplied the greasy, spray on sunscreen for the second time that day before putting on my snorkel gear and jumping in the water. I was startled to find that the yellow things were not leaves -- they were fish! Hundreds of yellow fish about the size of my hands were in the water, along with larger fish in all sorts of colors: brilliant blue, black, purple, the whole rainbow, it seemed! The coral was also brilliantly colored, completely unlike what we had seen off the coast of Jamaica the previous summer. I floated in the water, thanks to the smelly rented life jacket that came with our snorkel gear and kayaks. I could have spent all day watching the fish flitting about under the water, but soon, catamarans carrying hundreds of tourists began coming in, and it was time to leave the bay.

No comments: