Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reverb10: Community

Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris)

This prompt has sat in an open browser tab all day. It's hard for me to even begin to explain all the places I've found a sense of community this year, both online and in the real world. I began 2010 as a newlywed, in a new place, knowing no one except my husband and the apartment complex management staff. It was in 2010 when I started to try to find opportunities for us to meet people.

The first and most significant place with within the church we attend. We started going there in January, though it was March before Trevor began holding weekends off to join me at services regularly. We were immediately welcomed, and I got involved in a women's bible study group. I started to meet people, both from my group and from other groups. I started making connections, and eventually got involved with a scrapbook group at the church (my second one in this area -- another one invited me in October 2009).

The other significant places where I've found community have been online. The creative avenues are the most obvious ones, though -- blogs, TwoPeasInABucket.com, and even Split Coast Stampers have provided me with creative community. I've also used Twitter and Facebook to foster community with the people I left behind when I moved to Georgia. I've been in touch with so many people I never would have been able to keep up with otherwise.

Perhaps the most important place I've found community this year is among other pilot wives -- through online forums like JetGirls and Pilot Wives Club, and in person through meeting Trevor's former college friends and current coworkers (several of these people fit both categories). Knowing others who deal with this unpredictable and frustrating lifestyle helps to deal with it just a little bit better. It can be heartbreaking, like when we learn about marriages that can't withstand this career, or it can be uplifting, like when we hear about couples getting away somewhere exotic thanks to the benefits of this career. I would honestly say that this community is the one I'd like to more deeply connect with in 2011. I know there are a lot of connections to be made within the pilot wife community, and I'm eager to make them.

2 comments:

Miss Creativity said...

What a lovely post and I wish you well and many more friends and connections in 2011. God opens up so many doors if we only knock.
Beverley (UK)

Ms. Mommie's World said...

Congratulations on your marriage! I too hope that 2011 rewards you with the community that works for you in all forms.