Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Reverb10: Beautifully Different

Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful. (Author: Karen Walrond)

Maybe I should have titled this "A Beautiful Mind." You see, one of the qualities that makes me different is that I have a very, very good memory for people. Ask me where my keys are, and I'll probably tell you five wrong answers before I hit on the right spot, but ask me about the girl I met at the party Saturday night and talked to for five minutes, and I could tell you everything I learned about her. Ask me again in a year, and I'll probably still remember everything.

Where this talent really shines is at our church's preschool check-in, where I volunteer on Sunday mornings. People are genuinely touched when I remember them or their children's names, especially if I say something like "I always remember Kelsea because she always has such cute dresses." Of course, it's not the dresses that make me remember these kids, but I love to throw in the extra compliment. I know these parents probably had a hectic morning getting their kids ready for church, doing their hair just right, and maybe even ironing the little pleats in the tiny dresses, so someone simply must acknowledge their work, right? ;)

When I make them smile, I smile, and that's what makes me feel beautiful.

No comments: