Monday, November 23, 2009

Monday Projects: December Daily

The December Daily is an Ali Edwards concept centered around documenting the holidays one day at time through photos and journaling. It's meant to be a low-stress, simple album that gives you a place to keep your family's memories. I've followed her blog the past few years and loved the concept, but just didn't feel the need to do an album until this year.

After all, I'm in a very different place in my life right now. It's my first married Christmas. The process of planning a wedding and getting married made the importance of family grow a lot for me. I also now have double the family, so there are double the events to document in my album. I also have an apartment worth decorating for the holidays, so that adds another dimension to document as well.

And of course, there are far more opportunities for socializing as well. We know we will be seeing several friends over the month of December in various places, so it would be great to document that. We will be going to different holiday events in our area as well. There's just more happening in our lives this year than in the past.

I spent a lot of time thinking about how I wanted to document my December. My first inclination was to do a digital album, uploading photos and digital papers into Picnik and creating square digital collages with the images. I had intended to simply print them as a book in Shutterfly after the holidays.

However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I'm not in a digital mood right now. I want to work hands-on with the papers, tags, photos, and other elements of the album. I suppose it might be Ali's influence, in part. She does more hands-on, touchable items in her album, and watching her assemble her albums year after year probably left a mark in my mind about how the albums should be done.

My materials are mainly going to be from Elle's Studio. I ordered the Countdown to Christmas package as well as some of the coordinating holiday papers. What I like about the paper pack is that it's a set of 4x4 inch papers. They will work well into the 8x8 grid scheme I am planning for my album. I also plan to pick up an assortment of Bazzil to use as the base sheets for the album as well (FYI -- Bazzill is 2 for $1 at Michael's this week!).

I haven't decided for sure what I'm going to do about the photos. I do have a good-quality home printer, but I hate to do large quantities of photos on it. I prefer using it for one or two photos when I'm working on a project and don't want to run to a store or wait to get prints from Shutterfly. What I might do is upload my photos to my Shutterfly account and print to the local Target store once a week or so. It works really well because I can pick up the photos without having to mess with the inevitably malfunctioning Kodak kiosks, they are ready when I get there, and I can take care of most of my other errands at the same time, too.

Of course, I just placed my order to Elle's Studio last night, so I will likely be a bit behind on my album, but that's okay. This is about low-stress methods of documenting the holidays, not freaking out about how behind I've gotten.

Working on a post in defense of the Twilight books for one of my Wednesday literature posts. I'm not sure when it will be ready to publish, but it's something I've been considering a lot lately as I've seen countless Facebook posts bashing the book and the movies. There are so many issues in the books that aren't immediately apparent -- including some interesting Christian and specifically Mormon undertones.

No comments: