Friday, May 22, 2009

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...

ETA: I recently resigned from my job so I could join my fiance in Atlanta later this summer. I didn't point that out when I originally posted, and I got a few comments saying sorry about the job loss. Don't be sorry -- I'm leaving by choice! --LH 5/23/09


Today was my last official day as a teacher at Velva High School. I'm so going to miss the students and staff at the school. I'll be around Velva through at least the end of June or beginning of July, so it will be nice for me to see some of my students around town for a few more weeks.

It's a bittersweet ending. I know I made a real difference in the lives of several students, but then there are the ones who dropped out -- despite the fact that I gave them a lot of second chances, despite the fact that I pushed them to succeed. I hope they find whatever it was that we couldn't give them at the school.

There were a lot of tears this week, both from me and from my students. I will so, so miss these kids! The cards and notes were pouring in all week. One of my eighth grade girls gave me a hot pink daisy and her paper mache piggie that she made last year in art class. I plan to put the bright pink pig in my scrapbook room when I move to Atlanta this fall. Of course, I will be scrapping about this experience at some point, as well.

Since I'll have quite a bit of free time on my hands in the coming months, I should be updating here quite a bit more often. I think I'm going to try to start a regular posting schedule, with certain days for book reviews, posting projects, and wedding details, too. For now, though, I'm going to work on getting my scrap area ready, and on preparing my post for the Cards for Heroes Blog Hop -- I've got to have that post ready by 2 p.m. CDT tomorrow. I made my card when I came home from school tonight, so I'll be finishing up the post, scanning the card, etc. later this evening.

Have a great Friday night!

No comments: